Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Elections Tuesday

There are elections around the Triangle Tuesday, 6:30am to 7:30pm. 
 
I haven't researched the candidates as well as I should this time, but there are good reasons for my decisions, even if I am not clear on every position the candidates have staked.  For City Council, I'm leaning towards voting for Catotti, Harris, and Ali.  Catotti is an easy choice, because she is probably the most progressive candidate and has a record as an incumbent, and she is the most responsive Council member to citizens (also if you include the County Commissioners and Mayor) in my experience.  Harris seems like a pretty progressive candidate and has been endorsed by the Independent, the People's Alliance, and I think also by the Herald-Sun.  Ali seems almost as popular with liberals.  I'm embarrassed to say, but I only just found out that Brown is actually a Democrat (and I heard that Clement is a Republican)!  I always thought Brown was a Republican on the more liberal wing, and that I thought that says something about the kind of Democrat he apparently is.  I want to vote against him, although he hasn't been too bad (for example, he supports the annual Bill of Rights resolution), and the only specific decision I can recall as a reason to vote against him is his opposition to the Bush-Cheney impeachment resolution last year.  The Council could have at least voted on it.  This race is not as exciting on its face as the elections for national office, but I think it is important for our future to vote, even though none of the candidates are ideal.         

No comments: