Monday, May 05, 2008

Vote Tuesday!

The primary elections are Tuesday, and hopefully turnout will be higher than usual.  I am still thinking about who to vote for in several offices, but I will post now and comment if you want to advocate for a candidate.  I will vote in the Democratic primary, and I am saying how I plan to vote, without wholeheartedly endorsing candidates.  There is information at www.heraldsun.com and the News & Observer published a guide.  The Durham People's Alliance has posted candidate questionnaire responses at www.durhampa.org.    
 
As I said before, I think progressive people need to reject Clinton and Obama, so I will vote for Senator Mike Gravel (www.gravel2008.us).  According to the News & Observer, Gravel is still a Democrat, so any votes for him should count. 
 
Rep. David Price is up for re-election this fall and has no Democratic challengers this year, but after his vote for a resolution supporting Israel's war against Lebanon and his inaction against Bush and Cheney he does not deserve my vote, even if he is the most left representative in the state. 
 
I don't like either of the Democratic candidates for governor at this point, but I might vote for Bev Perdue.  For lieutenant governor I am leaning towards Hampton Dellinger. 
 
For the commissioner of labor, I want to endorse Ty Richardson, since he is a blue collar worker, but May Fant Donnan goes into more detail about her positions. 
 
In the County Commissioner election, I think I will vote for Reckhow, Heron, Page, Moffitt, and Howerton.  I would like to vote for Josh Parker because he is a politically active peer, but he seems slight less progressive. 
 
I haven't looked at the district attorney race much.  So far Mitchell Garrell seems good, but there are good arguments for Tracey Cline too. 
 
There are several other races I need to look into before Tuesday. 

No comments: