Saturday, April 21, 2007

Scott Mill: postscript

This is an email I received Wednesday (April 18th) from Rep. David Price's office after I emailed him before the rezoning vote.  Predictably he did not intervene, but it is good that he agreed with the opponents and I must have given his staff some exercise with a letter that they didn't have a form reply prepared for.   
 

Dear [southplumb]:

Thank you for contacting me concerning the Scott Mill development project in Durham.

I understand your concern that building a new subdivision on this land, which has been designated as an important natural heritage area by the North Carolina Heritage inventory, is shortsighted and unwise, and could have significant negative effects on water quality in the NE Creek and Jordan Lake.

As a federal elected official, I generally avoid direct involvement in matters under the jurisdiction of local governments. Given the serious concerns raised about the proposed Scott Mill development, however, I was pleased to see that the Durham County Board of Commissioners decided in February not to permit the rezoning necessary to allow the project to proceed.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to stay in touch on issues of concern.

Sincerely,

DAVID PRICE

Member of Congress

No comments: