Wednesday, November 05, 2008

On the election

Obama won and this is a historic and progressive win, electing the first black president of the USA.  I expect that many, if not most, of Obama's voters support him as a repudiation of Bush and Cheney's policies.  I was in Chapel Hill earlier and heard a lot of cheering on Franklin Street and at UNC.  I think people will be disappointed when Obama appoints his Cabinet and begins to govern, and it becomes more obvious what policies and interests he supports, and that is why I'm not feeling very uplifted by this election.  Obama is not as progressive as people think, but the fact that he won is a sign of some progress. He will be progressive in some areas, but I expect more unprovoked war and unconstitutional and anti-democratic actions over the next four years. 
 
The same applies to governor-elect Bev Perdue.  As a protest vote I voted for Munger, and it looks like he received enough votes to keep the Libertarians on the ballot next time.       

No comments: